The basic concept of the Secret Santa game is simple. All of the participants’ names are placed into a hat, box, etc. and mixed up. Each person then chooses one name from the box, but doesn’t tell anyone which name was picked. He/she is now responsible for buying a gift for the person selected.
When the Secret Santa wraps his/her gift, he/she should label it with the recipient’s name but doesn’t indicate whom the present is from. (Remember, most of the fun is in the secrecy.)
All the gifts are then placed in a general area for opening at a designated time. When the gift-giving time arrives, each recipient finds his/her gift and must guess who their Secret Santa is. If they can’t guess, their Secret Santa eventually confesses.
With the SecretSanta.com service, organizing and managing a Secret Santa gift exchange is now easier and much more fun. Using SecretSanta.com, a gift exchange administrator is able to:
- Send fun email invitations to a group of friends, family or coworkers, inviting them to participate in a Secret Santa gift exchange.
- Enter all of the participants’ names in a virtual “hat.” The system, using the Secret Santa Generator, randomizes all of the names and selects each participant’s gift recipient for him/her.
- Run a gift exchange without all of the participants being in one place. All SecretSanta.com requires is that you enter all the participants’ email addresses and their gift recipients are sent out automatically.
- Create a customized Secret Santa Gift Exchange page, which enables all participants to post RSVP responses and comments, as well as wish lists.
- Create exclusions for each gift exchange to ensure that certain participants are not matched. (For example, Jack should not be Jane’s Secret Santa.)
- Manage a Secret Santa gift exchange year after year, guaranteeing that participants do not get the same Secret Santa two years in a row.
Best of all – It’s absolutely FREE!